Friday, September 05, 2008

What's up, chicken butt?

Not long ago, this conversation took place in my apartment:

French boy: I've ordered something online for us.
American girl: What's that?
FB: A cul de poule!
AG: ...Come again?
FB: Chicken butt!
AG: ... Is that, um, something you'd like to try?
FB: Absolutely! And it's silicone - so not hard to clean!
This went on for some time, with me becoming increasingly horrified until I realized we were talking about cooking. A cul de poule (big sigh of relief) is just a big bowl for whipping and melting.
AG: But why do they call it a cul?
FB: Because that's what it looks like!
Riiiight. Now, despite my Kansas origins, I've spent precious little time around poultry. Is there anyone out there who can 'splain to me how a bowl, whether silver or silicone, resembles a rooster's back door?
AG: Do you not find that even the slightest bit vulgar?
FB: I have no idea what you mean.
I am completely alone in this country, it seems, in finding cul de poule totally giggleworthy. How else to explain the straight-faced existence of restaurant named Chicken Butt? Caroline Mignot, in her review published online today, had nice things to say about the newly-opened (sorry) Cul de Poule. She even admitted that "le nom me plaît bien." And here I thought she looked so very innocent...
Cul de Poule, 53 rue des Martyrs, 75009
+33 (0)1 53 16 13 07

Update! I have finally tasted the butt for myself. You can read about it over at Mu Foo.

5 comments:

M.E. Greene said...

Oh my gosh- funny post! I'm a native Kansan, myself, but have long since left and I admit I would be equally horrified by something referred to as chicken butt.

Too dang funny!
Marie

Anonymous said...

Chicken butt tastes goooood! you should try it!

buzzgirl said...

That kick's (chicken) ass! Too funny!

Adrian said...

Caro is so hot

The Spicers said...

How could you NOT find that funny?